1923 - Cumberland's first airfield is established.
1929 to 1930 - A second airport, the new Cumberland Airport, is located in Pinto.
1933 - Orville Wright spends a night at the the Fort Cumberland Hotel. Many years later, a model of the Wright Brothers 1903 aircraft that set the stage for aerial transportation would be added to the Cohongaronta Gallery on the second floor of the Cumberland airport.
1930s - The Celanese Corporation maintains a Boeing 247 twin-engine aircraft for corporate business that visits the Cumberland Mexico Farms Airport twice a week.
1941 - Construction of a fourth airport, the Cumberland Municipal Airport -- now know as The Greater Cumberland Regional Airport or CBE -- begins in Wiley Ford.
1942 - A B-25 is the first large airplane to use the partially completed airport.
1945 - The airport is named Cumberland Municipal Airport and around this time adopts "CBE" as identification.
1961 - The Kelly-Springfield Tire Company, which was later bought by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company of Akron Ohio, established a flight department at the airport that lasted until termination in July 2000, according to the book.
1960s - Nicholson Air Service serves as the airport's fixed base operator, according to an Oct. 2, 1991 Cumberland Times-News story.
1970s - Nicholson, owned by A.D. Nicholson, expands operations to include air freight and commuter services to Baltimore, Ocean City, Md. and Pittsburgh.
1970s - USAir outbids Nicholson on commuter service to Pittsburgh and Nicholson Air closes several years later.
1982 - The Maryland State Police Aviation Section is located at the airport. The MSP medevac, Trooper 5, begins operations from the airport in a 10- by 26-foot office trailer that was manned by four people.
1983 - a hangar is built to house Trooper 5 and crews. A few years later, a two-story hangar is built for the medevac.
1987 - Cumberland agrees to transfer control and operation of the airport to Allegany County.
1990 - An advisory board reports to the Allegany County Commission and pursues acquisition of commuter services.
1990 - Maryland Gov. William Donald Schaefer and Gaston Caperton, governor of West Virginia, sign an intergovernmental agreement that authorizes the Potomac Highlands Airport Authority, a five-member board, to control the airport.
1990s - Corporate Jets Inc. replaces the Nicholson firm and establishes an air service.
1999 - Corporate Jets Inc.'s contract is terminated.
2000 - the airport's third terminal is dedicated by Maryland Gov. Parris Glendening with West Virginia Gov. Cecil Underwood in attendance.
2014 - A ceremony is held to welcome the full-service mission operation of the new Trooper 5 AgustaWestland AW 139 helicopter at the airport.
SOURCE: “Wings Over Cumberland An Aviation History” by Bob Poling and Bill Armstrong