CUMBERLAND — A strong odor of natural gas Monday night in 200 block of Henderson Avenue forced the evacuation of several homes while authorities worked to find the source of the leak.

Ten residents were evacuated around 8 p.m. for about three hours after gas levels were deemed too high, said Sam Wilson of the Cumberland Fire Department.  

Allegany County Department of Emergency Services provided extra ambulance support and set up an evacuation site at the Union Rescue Mission, where the evacuees were taken, Lt. W. Shannon Adams, the city department’s fire marshal, said.

Cumberland fire and police units were dispatched around 6 p.m. after residents and motorists in the area reported smelling the gas. The leak was reportedly located near the intersection of Knox and Bond streets.

Columbia, Knox and Bond streets were closed for the duration of the incident.

Columbia Gas responded to the scene where gas was leaking near a manhole, said Russell Bedell, a communications and community relations manager at Columbia Gas, and opened manholes in the area to determine the exact location of the leak.

Residents were permitted to return to their homes about 11:30 p.m.

Ridegley and Bowling Green fire departments were on standby. 

Cumberland firefighters remained on the scene until Columbia Gas fixed the leak, Wilson said.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Trending Video